Taken from the news report on the second Walk on the Wildside – 30 September that included a short talk on the history of The Old House by Joy Sachak:
Joy mentioned the site was owned in 1272 by Roger de Leghes and then it was called Leghes Farm. Records show there was a building on the site in the 16th Century, owned by Nicholas Burley. He extended the building and his wife’s, and his initials are still visible today on the replacement fireplace installed in 1604. The dwelling was further extended in the 17th and 18th centuries when an additional floor was built and formed its current appearance.
Since moving in, they had discovered old paintings behind Georgian plaster, possibly dating back to the 15th century, as well as gradually purchasing additional land that was formerly part of the early estate.
The exact date of the name change is not clear, but there are records showing the sale of The Old House from the Earl of Onslow to WH Pinnock in 1909.