The parish of Pyrford was probably once a Saxon manor known as Pyrianforde. Its oldest building is the Norman Church of St. Nicholas, built about 1140. The Pyrford Stone (to the north by Stone Farm) is probably a boundary mark of pre-Conquest origin but it is possibly a prehistoric standing stone, a relic of pagan worship.
Pyrford in 1086, appeared to have been a more important place than the ancient manor of Byfleet, and at that time belonged to the Abbot of Westminster who was presumed to be
responsible for the building of St. Nicholas Church.
Several attractive farmhouses were built during the 16th Century, including Wheelers Farmhouse (Grade II), Church Farm Cottage and Lady Place Cottages (Local Interest). Later, in the 17th Century, Stone Farm (Grade II) was built. In 1846, a Dame School was opened in the little hut beside St. Nicholas. The Church was restored in the 15th Century and again in 1869, revealing what was left of Norman murals and Consecration crosses.