Tree’s and hedgerows are now starting to show signs of life with bud’s appearing and spring flowers everywhere including primroses & daffodils as well as the last of the snowdrops. The trees are in bud and the hedgerows are full of colour as the Hawthorn, Blackthorn, Sallow, Hazel & Crab Apple all blossom.
Early butterflies such as the Brimstone are emerging together with Bumblebees and Ladybirds.
Also mating are the amphibians with frogspawn in ponds everywhere and toads returning from winter hibernation to inhabit their summer aquatic environment.
Summer migrants are starting to arrive including Skylarks, Chiff-chaff’s, House Martins and Swallows. Nest building is starting everywhere… Badger cubs will soon start to emerge for the first time to venture above-ground.
Things to do:-
- Put out nuts & seeds and water for birds especially if the ground is frozen.
- Hedgehogs should now be coming out of hibernation if it’s been a cold winter.
- Why not check your boundaries and where possible create an access point for a hedgehog highway. All that’s required is a small hole 13cm x 13cm in a wall or fence to enable hedgehogs to move between garden to forage etc.
- Make or buy a hedgehog house to put in your garden. Get yours from Woking & District Men’s Shed on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prune hedges & Trees. Last chance before the nesting season starts in April.