I have now received detailed data of accidents on the length of Old Woking Road between Sheerwater Road and Maybury Hill since 2000 which are shown on the map below.
The key statistics are:-
- 195 recorded accidents – 2 fatal, 35 serious and 158 slight
- 280 casualties – 3 fatal, 55 serious and 222 slight
- 160 accidents involved a car and 14 pedal cycles
- 114 accidents occurred at either T junctions or staggered junctions
- 109 accidents occurred at Maybury Hill, Pyrford Common Road, Pyrford Woods & Sheerwater Road
The three fatalities occurred between midnight & 6am and half the serious & slight accidents happened during the morning and afternoon peaks (06:00 to 10:00 and 15:00 to 19:00).
Both fatal accidents and 12 of the 35 serious accidents occurred on the stretch between Broomcroft Drive and Pyrford Common Road.
As mentioned last month, various suggestions have been made to improve matters.
The Forum will ask a question at the next Woking Joint Committee meeting in early November 2021, requesting Surrey County Council install an average speed camera plus any of the other additional suggestions that they feel appropriate to significantly reduce the level of accidents.
Interestingly last week, Surrey Council Cabinet adopted a “Policy on the use of safety camera in Surrey” new an Average Speed Camera Policy. This might help.
Full details can be found at https://mycouncil.surreycc.gov.uk/documents/s81642/Cabinet%20Report%20Safety%20Camera%20Policy.pdf